Thursday, February 09, 2012

Someone Else Should Write This Blog, Why Do I Have to Do It?

Am I strange to think that if you want something done, that you should take up the initiative? Maybe, it's because of the nature of many ideas I have that has made me become one that takes initiative. When I get an idea of what to do for one of my 24 days (you read about it here) or if I get the itch to do one of my live shows, then I start planning and working on it and making the appropriate arrangements. If I get an idea for a party or I think I'm due to have one, I put it together. Obviously, there are times when I may have an idea that will not go anywhere because I lack a certain resource (it is a 100% of the time money) but if it requires things that I have such as time and imagination, then I will do them.

Since I have been involved with the work of the church for a long time now, even before my formalized position here at Nelson, I often have conversations about what the church should or should not be doing. I'm not talking about with the pastors, although I obviously have to talk to them about that because that's a part of my job. I am not a pastor and am often viewed as a volunteer or at least distant enough from the decision-making positions in the church that I am seen as one that you can safely talk to about the life of the church without ratting you out. Which is true. I know people often need to vent and sometimes you share opinions about what is happening and I usually operate under the idea that this is in confidence.

Some complaints are more legitimate than others, but one type of complaint I find interesting is the "the church should start some sort of..." and then proceed to speak of some age group that is possibly neglected or some project started. Then the person will proceed to say that the leadership doesn't do enough or has their priorities misplaced or what have you. It is made to seem that the church is holding back whatever the project is.

I often find myself in these situations saying to myself and sometimes even to the person, "What do you expect the church to do? Are you wanting someone from leadership to step forward and start up the thing? What if they can't because they're too busy? Is it because they aren't being reasonable?" The question I'm getting at is, "Why can't you do it?"

It may sound harsh, but it's not supposed to be. Just because you see a spiritual component in the event that you would like to see happen, doesn't mean that the church should automatically be in charge of it, does it?

If I would like to see one of my plays performed, does that mean that the local theatre is obligated to stage it because I go to the theatre all the time? Is the management obligated to go and find a director and actors and stage crew? No. If you say, but the church should be different, because we are a spiritual family, then I would submit that the theatre world is a community with a lot of similarity to the church.

What I am saying is that so often in our lives, both in the church and even in the broader sense of life, we look to see someone else to do something about whatever issue we believe needs to change. That it's the government's responsibility to take care of the poor or that it's the teacher's responsibility to teach my kid or that it's the church board who is responsible for ministering to people or that it's God responsibility to make me be a peaceful, loving, joyful person who forgives.

It's hard because in society, it is easy to see whatever the problem is and it easy to think that it should be someone else's responsibility. After all, isn't this the modern age? Haven't we advanced enough now that all our needs can be met easily and if they're not, then someone above is falling asleep at the wheel.

I wonder if we are getting frustrated with our unrealistic and perhaps inappropriate expectations of whatever organization is above us. Maybe we look at them to solve problems that we're supposed to solve.

It goes back to that idea of instead of thinking that our wellbeing is someone else's responsibility, maybe we should focus on someone else's wellbeing is our responsibility. Maybe instead of that someone filling that need you think needs to be addressed perhaps that can be you. If I think that a choir is something the church needs, then I should call people together and get a choir together. Why does the church need to do that for me if it's something I would like to see? Why do I need the church to appoint someone and to make the announcement and to make the arrangements?

If you're thinking, but I'm too busy to do it, then maybe you could put the idea in someone's ear who is looking and is able to take on the challenge. If you can't, then it's strange to force someone else to make it their priority.

The fact is that not everything we wish that would be done will be done. We, both as individuals and as communities, are not capable of it. I may wish that someone resolve the energy crisis, but it is not that easy. I may want a rocket boots, but no one owes them to me. If I want rocket boots, then I should go to rocket school and learn boot technology.

In the end, we are the ones that have to live our lives. We have responsibilities. We often can't control the big world, but sometimes I think we worry too much about what is outside our control and perhaps we should be concerned with our sphere of influence. What can you do? You can't solve all the world's problems and you can't. Perhaps we shouldn't spread ourselves so thin fighting to get everybody to fight every fight, but instead focus our attention on those matters that we are drawn to the most.

I believe passion comes from God and when used correctly, it can fuel us to do things far, far better than peppering complaints about everything which in effect is doing nothing.

I do not believe that the government owes me anything. They can't give me a fulfilled life. The church owes me nothing. The church can't give me a fulfilled life.

I think the big truth behind Jesus' call to take up our cross and follow him, is that we take responsibility for ourselves and put others' well being ahead of ours and if we are all doing that, then strangely enough, we'll all be taken care of. The thing is, no one wants to pick up a cross, so few do it and the ones that do do it are the ones that die and have no complaints about how someone else failed.

"You say that money isn't everything
But I'd like to see you live without it,
You think you can keep on going living like a king,
Ooh babe, I strongly doubt it,
Very hard to drink
Very hard to drink
You gonna wait too, fat boy,
Fat boy, wait 'til tomorrow
You gonna wait too, fat boy,
Fat boy, wait 'til tomorrow,"
- "Tomorrow" from the Silverchair album "Frogstomp"

1 comment:

Matthew said...

You practice what you preach. That's a good model for preaching. And it's a good message.

Highlight reel:

"What I am saying is...we look to see someone else to do something about whatever issue we believe needs to change."

"...instead of thinking that our well-being is someone else's responsibility, maybe we should focus on someone else's well-being as our responsibility."

"If I want rocket boots, then I should go to rocket school and learn boot technology."

And...

"The thing is, no one wants to pick up a cross, so few do it and the ones that do do it are the ones that die and have no complaints about how someone else failed."

Much potential do you have.