Friday, March 19, 2010

Restructuring

In case you haven't heard, I have been let go of my job at Roger's. It is a little strange to be at home for the whole weekend instead of work. I never had to worry about making plans with anybody because going to work was my plans. I was surprised that it was me that they let go, but I understand their decision at the same time. Funny enough, I was telling one of my employees that "There is restructuring going on, but don't worry, our store is doing fine and our jobs will be safe." And it was me who had faith in our job security and it was me who got the boot.

I remember talking about the six life paths in a blog a few months ago and this event just seems to highlight my lack of movement on those points and now I don't even have my job which was the one I was doing the best in aside from being couched in the Bystander path. Now, that's what's left.

Fortunately, if I was to leave Roger's, this is exactly how I would want to leave. I get severance and I get time. I have the chance to move away and get setup somewhere else and I have time to find a new job there. I don't know what I want to do about school yet, but it just happened so I am still trying to figure that out.

I know I have usually been ridiculously busy for a good portion of my adult life and I always wished I had just a little more time in my week. That's why I find it so strange to have an abundance of time. In fact, it's feels like too much time. It's like I have been thirsty and suddenly I thrown into the ocean and I'm drowning. "Yeah, I wish I had more time. Ah, that's enough. No, I'm good. Oh, no, too much! Too much! Too much!"

I am planning on using this time to go out west and see some friends that I have not seen in a long time. Maybe this break will be something nice before I move onto the next stretch of my life.

That's all I really have to say for now. I am trying to rest and reflect on my position and go from here.

"Honey, aren't you ready?
Don't you get it?
Even if you got nothing to lose,
Then baby, you got it all"
- "Nothing to Lose" from the Operator album "Soulcrusher"

2 comments:

Aaron Scott said...

"I am planning on using this time to go out west and see some friends that I have not seen in a long time."

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

R said...

I know what you mean about too much time. After I quit the moose, it was weird not having to spend my weekends at the MTS Centre, or late nights in my office. I made myself a schedule, much like a school one, for stuff I wanted to get done in my time off (learning this, reading that, looking for another job, etc.) Keeping to the schedule got easier as time went on, and by the end of the summer, I had accomplished much of what I had wanted to get done. So I encourage you to plan your time out, so that you don't look at all of it and become overwhelmed.