Tuesday, January 23, 2007

To Me, People Who Say "Such and Such Has Jumped The Shark" Have Jumped the Shark

24 has started it's sixth season and I've been loving it as I always have. And I can't resist going to the 24 website and checking out the message boards to see what people have said about various plot twists, but I don't know why I subject myself to it. Noone really talks about how cool it was or about what they think will happen next. The only things that go on there is how the show has now jumped the shark or the show has now gone too far. Those are the two biggest comments. It's annoying. I mean, why are you going onto the message board to complain about the TV show. If it is so terrible, then why are YOU WATCHING IT!?! Sweet mother of Pearl!

The thing that is the worst however is the "24 has finally jumped the shark" comments that are so prevalent. That phrase is so cliched all it does is rile me on such a core level. To me, people who say "such and such has jumped the shark" have jumped the shark. Say something like "that twist was a little ridiculous" or "that scene was like having sort of subhuman fish-like creature who has been given a lobotomy perform a lobotomy on me as we take the cable car ride during an earthquake as Mongolians lob molotov cocktails at us."

Besides, 24 has been on so long that it has done very well to not repeat itself. It has been consistently good with some great directing and acting with the glaring exception of Dennis Hopper. I would like to see those people who complain after six seasons can make a TV show to run so long and be half as good as 24. They would most likely put in a scene where they literally have someone jumping a shark.

As a side note to my readers, all three of you. If you ever start saying that I jumped the shark, I will buy a genetically modified shark that can somehow walk on land and let it loose into your house and you won't be able to jump because I will remove your legs so you will be unable to jump any sort of land shark.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way to jump the shark, dave.